Friday, November 19, 2004

Staring eyes of stars

Staring eyes of stars
Probing, piercing, prodding me
Why, to where, and when.

And another, thematically related poem:

Naked at Night

I walk along the causeway, naked.
The water on either side lapping against the shore diagonally
against my movement.
I am out alone. It was irresponsible to leave my clothes behind
But the wind feels cool against my skin.

I reach the dock, and walk out. The water lapping against the pillars
against my movement.
Someone has left a can of worms.
But they have escaped to their doom in the dark below.
I sit down with my feet in the water.
My bare ass on the worn damp timber.
I know that if anyone comes I can jump in the water
And they won’t see me, even if they hear me.
If I do it right they will think I’m a fish jumping.

No one comes.
I slip into the water anyway, silent as I can so I don’t startle the stars.
They’ve seen me naked already, their light has felt my skin
But they don’t mind,
And I don’t what to disturb their conversations with each other.

I swim out into the dark. The dark can’t see because it’s blind,
Like the animals who live in it.
The dark is in the water, though, so I guess that it can feel me.
Maybe that’s what feels cool.
The dark is a mysterious affection
Different from the straightforward desire of the light.
The moon sees me through the dark and water.
The moon loves the dark, and the water, and feels a little jealous at my touch
But not very much.
The moon isn’t as jealous as the sun.


I know where the dock is, and the causeway,
But there is nothing for me there.
If I go that way then someone might find me naked and ask me what I am doing
and I won’t know what to tell them.
If they don’t then the morning will find me naked and ask me what I am doing
and I won’t know what to tell it either.

I have forgotten how to get home.

CGJohnson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home